- 1 (15.25 ounce) box super moist chocolate fudge cake mix (dry)
- 12 ounces Dr. Pepper Cherry (room temperature)
- 1 (18 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, divided
- 2 (1 cup) sticks salted butter (room temperature)
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13x2 baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix and soda. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Remove 24 cherries from the jar, remove stems and cut cherries into fourths. Add cut cherries to cake batter. Whisk again until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pan. Smooth with a spatula so the cake is even.
- Place the cake in the center of the oven and bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile: Add butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or place in a large bowl and use and hand mixer).
- Beat butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar 1 cup at a time until it is all incorporated (beating between each addition).
- Add 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) maraschino cherry juice from the jar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Frost the cake with all of the icing and garnish with remaining cherries.
- Do not add the ingredients that the cake mix calls for. This recipe is just for the dry mix.
- If icing is too thick, add more cherry juice 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency, beating in between each addition.
- If it is too thin add powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency, beating in between each addition.
This article and recipe adapted from this site