- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 6 cups peeled and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples (about 3 large apples)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment so the paper hangs over all four sides. Set aside.
- Stir together oats, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Pour melted butter into oat mixture and stir to combine. Place 1/2 cup oat mixture aside and press remaining into bottom of baking dish.
- Combine apples, granulated sugar, lemon juice, remaining 1/2 tablespoon flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon cloves. Stir to evenly coat. Dump apples on top of crust in baking dish and gently even them out. Crumble remaining 1/2 cup oat mixture on top of apples. Cover foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until crumb is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Slice bars once completely cool and cover loosely until ready to serve.
This article and recipe adapted from this site