FOR THE ICE CREAM
- 2 c. chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
- 6 c. strawberry ice cream, slightly softened
- 6 c. vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- FOR THE BROWNIE BASE
- 1 box brownie mix, plus ingredients called for on box
FOR THE MERINGUE
- 8 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- Spray a 3-quart bowl with cooking spray and line with plastic wrap. Add chocolate ice cream in a layer, then strawberry and vanilla ice creams. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and freeze until completely firm, at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 8” round cake pan with cooking spray and line with parchment. Prepare brownie batter according to package instructions and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 27 minutes.
- Let brownies cool completely, then remove ice cream bowl from freezer and place brownie on top. Cover with plastic wrap and return to freezer for one hour or until ready to serve.
- Make meringue: Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high speed, 2 minutes. Increase speed to high and add sugar in a slow steady stream. Continue beating until glossy peaks form, about 12 minutes.
- Unmold ice cream dome and cover completely with meringue, using the back of a spoon to make swirly peaks.
- Broil until golden, 2 minutes. (Or use a kitchen torch if you have.)
- Slice and serve immediately.
This article and recipe adapted from this site