The perfect fall treat, these baked apple cider donuts are made a healthier with whole wheat pastry flour, coconut sugar, Greek yogurt and coconut oil.
- ½ cup apple cider (not vinegar)
- ⅓ cup unsweeteened apple sauce
- 1 ¾ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 egg
- Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- ½ Tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir until combined.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together apple cider, apple sauce, sugar, yogurt, oil and egg until combined.
- Add wet mixture to flour mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Spray two (6-cavity) donut pans with cooking spray. Spoon or pipe batter evenly into the 12 cavities.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until donuts spring back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan for 2 minutes. Invert donuts onto a wire rack.
- While donuts are baking, mix together sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Brush each donut with coconut oil on both sides and dip into the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. Repeat until all donuts are coated. Best enjoyed immediately but can be stored in an air-tight container for 2-3 days and reheated in the microwave or toaster oven.
- I haven’t tested it yet, but I would assume you can use non-dairy yogurt and a flaxseed egg to make vegan apple cider donuts. Let me know if you decide to try it!
- Recipe inspired and adapted from Cooking Light.
- This Recipe adapted from >>>> Click Here