- 3 tablespoons EACH: lime juice AND pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons EACH: Worcestershire sauce AND oil (any kind)
- 5 cloves garlic (pressed or minced)
- 2 teaspoon EACH: ground cumin AND chili powder (mild or hot)
- 1 teaspoon EACH: smoked paprika AND Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (optional, if you like heat!)
- 1 ¾ – 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 3 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- to serve: tortillas, homemade guacamole, guacamole salsa, salsa, sour cream, cilantro lime rice, sautéed corn, shredded lettuce, and the list can go on and on!
- MARINADE: combine the ingredients for the marinade along with 1 ½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Use a whisk to combine before adding the jalapeño slices and the chicken breast. Let marinate covered in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours. Remove from the refrigerator and allow the chicken to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Set a large cast iron skillet or nonstick skillet over high heat and let heat up for a couple of minutes. Drizzle in a teaspoon of oil and add half the chicken to the pan and cook on each side for about 3-5 minutes or longer depending on the thickness of the chicken. If the pan becomes too hot, reduce the heat to medium-high. Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to rest for several minutes. Slice the chicken into thin slices.
- FAJITA VEGGIES: Add another teaspoon of oil to the pan over high heat, add half the onions and bell peppers. Let the veggies begin to sizzle and toss as necessary. You can drizzle in some of that chicken marinade if you want to flavor the veggies but be sure to cook them well. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove the veggies to a plate and cook the remaining veggies the same way.
- ASSEMBLY: Serve the chicken fajitas in tortillas or on rice bowls topped with your favorite toppings!
This article and recipe adapted from this site