- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed in a small bag with a meat mallet
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup drained canned diced tomatoes or peeled, seeded, diced fresh tomatoes
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp water (optional)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together all of the spices in the spice blend, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion and saute until slightly golden brown, about 4 – 6 minutes.
- Add in garlic and ginger, saute 30 seconds more then add in spice blend and saute 30 seconds.
- Pour in chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a blender then cover with lid and remove lid insert, cover opening with a clean folded kitchen rag.
- Blend mixture until well pureed and smooth then return to skillet and heat skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season sauce with salt and cayenne pepper (start with about 1/2 tsp salt and a few dashes cayenne then add more to taste) then add in chicken.
- Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to medium-low, cover skillet with lid and simmer until chicken has cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 8 – 12 minutes.
- During the last minute of cooking stir in the cornstarch and water slurry if desired, to thicken sauce slightly (or if needed thin with a little chicken broth).
- Stir in cream then serve warm with cilantro over basmati rice.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy
This article and recipe adapted from this site