- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 box (15.25 ounce) chocolate cake mix (do NOT make according to package directions)
- 1 box (3.9 ounce) instant chocolate pudding (do NOT make according to package directions)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 bag (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips
- Toppings (optional): ice cream, sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping, chocolate chips
- Place butter in a 13×9 inch baking dish (glass or nonstick is probably best). Place baking dish in oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Check on the butter every now and then and once melted, remove pan from oven. Give the butter a quick stir so that it’s well mixed and cover the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the DRY cake mix on top of melted butter in a flat even layer. Use a fork or the back of a spoon to spread the cake mix evenly over the butter.
- Sprinkle the DRY pudding mix on top of the cake mix in a flat even layer. Use a fork or the back of a spoon to spread the pudding mix evenly over the cake mix.
- Drizzle the milk on top of the pudding mix. Carefully tilt and swirl pan to cover as much of the pudding as possible with the milk. Using a spoon or back of a fork, gently press down on the milk so that it starts to absorb some of the cake and pudding mix and to cover any dry spots as much as possible. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top.
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees F for about 35-40 minutes or until top looks “set” (still soft and jiggly, but not runny and not hard), being careful to not overbake. Serve with your favorite toppings.
This article and recipe adapted from this site