- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream divided
- 8 ounces semi sweet baking chocolate chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the garnish:
- shaved chocolate
- whipped cream
- Beat egg yolks in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment for 3 minutes until thick. Gradually add the sugar while beating.
- Heat 1 cup of cream in a small sauce pan until hot. With the mixer on, stream 1/2 of the hot cream into the eggs. Once combined, pour the mixture into the pot with the remaining 1/2 cup cream. Turn the heat to low and cook until thick, stirring constantly (5 minutes).
- Mix in the vanilla and then add in the chocolate in 3 batches, stirring over low heat until melted and smooth.
- Pour the mix into a large bowl, cover, and place in fridge for 1.5-2 hours, stirring every 20-30 minutes. Once no longer warm, remove from the fridge and whip up the remaining 1 1/2 cups heavy cream to stiff peaks. Fold the cream into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Pipe or spoon the mouse into small glasses. Cover and place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Garnish with fresh whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
This article and recipe adapted from this site