- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cups chicken stock see note
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices thick cut bacon diced
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (plus more for serving)
- sour cream (optional for serving)
- green onions (optional for serving)
- In a large slow cooker combine the potatoes, onion, chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- When there is only 15 minutes left of cooking time, remove 2 cups of the cooking liquid from the crock pot.
- In a small stock pot over medium heat, cook the bacon. Once it is crispy, whisk in the flour.
- Very slowly stir in the cooking liquid from the crock pot. Once it is completely added, stir in the heavy cream, and the cheese. Stir until the cheese is fully melted.
- Mash the potatoes in the crock pot using a potato masher or an immersion blender. Stir in the mixture from the stock pot. Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe can be made with 4 cups of chicken stock or 6. Four cups will yield a very hearty thick soup. Six cups will yield a thinner soup. I prefer the four cup version. The nutritional information is for the recipe as written.Please note that the soup you see being ladled in the video is made with six cups.
- This article and recipe adapted from this site