- 8 ounces. high quality dark chocolate, chopped (or dark pieces of chocolate)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup hi-ratio shortening
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups powdered sugar, sieved
- 1/4 cup of dark unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 4-8 tablespoons of cream or milk
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave oven at 30-second intervals in a heat-resistant glass bowl until it is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a blender with a paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, gently stir the butter, shortening and salt at medium speed (about 5-6 minutes). Scrape off the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Turn the blender to low and gradually add half of the sugar and all the cocoa. Pour in the cooled melted chocolate and vanilla and mix at medium to low speed until they combine.
- Add remaining icing sugar gradually and mix until everything is mixed. Add 1 tablespoon at a time to cream or milk until it reaches a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Increase the stirring speed to medium high and whip for about 5-7 minutes until it is light and loose. For freezing cakes, cupcakes and much more!
NOTICE Store the product in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container. Before use – allow the icing to come to room temperature, beat it again in a blender and add extra cream or milk until the icing is smooth and slippery.
Basic recipe adapted from Page? ˅