Easy, 10-ingredient vegan fried rice that’s loaded with vegetables, crispy baked tofu, and tons of flavor! A healthy, satisfying plant-based side dish or entrée.
IngredientsUS Customary – MetricRICE + VEGETABLES
- 1 cup extra-firm tofu* (8 ounces yields ~1 cup)
- 1 cup long- or short-grain brown rice* (rinsed thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup carrots (finely diced)
- 3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce (plus more for veggies + to taste)
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 2 -3 Tbsp organic brown sugar, muscovado sugar, or maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1-2 tsp chili garlic sauce (more or less depending on preferred spice)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil (optional // or sub peanut or avocado oil)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or lightly grease with non-stick spray).
- In the meantime wrap tofu in a clean, absorbent towel and set something heavy on top (such as a cast iron skillet) to press out the liquid.
- Once the oven is preheated, dice tofu into 1/4-inch cubes and arrange on baking sheet. Bake for 26-30 minutes. You’re looking for golden brown edges and a texture that’s firm to the touch. The longer it bakes, the firmer and crispier it will become, so if you’re looking for softer tofu remove from the oven around the 26-28 minute mark. I prefer crispy tofu, so I bake mine the full 30 minutes. Set aside.