- 3/4 cup (100 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (235 ml) milk, whole or 2% reduced fat milk are best
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable or lightly flavored oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter, syrup and/or berries, for serving
- Whisk the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl or large measuring jug, whisk the milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla together until blended.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until just mixed. Set batter aside for 10 to 15 minutes so the baking powder has time to activate.
- Heat the oven to 200° F and heat the waffle iron.
- Pour the batter onto the heated waffle iron (ours takes about 1/2 cup) and cook until the waffle is crisp and golden brown. Immediately set the cooked waffle directly on the oven rack to keep it warm and crisp.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, holding the waffles in the oven (try not to stack them). Serve with butter, syrup and berries.
This article and recipe adapted from this site