- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 4-5 C cooked rice, prepared with chicken broth
- 2 C chicken broth
- 3/4 C green bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 C yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 C celery, diced
- 1/4 C flour
- 1 Tbsp bacon grease or cooking oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, heat bacon grease or cooking oil. Add ground beef and sausage and brown.
- As meat begins to brown, add diced bell pepper, onion and celery.
- When meat is fully browned, stir in herbs and spices except for parsley. Mix well. Add flour. Mix well again, making sure the flour coats the meat.
- Add broth and bay leaves. Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any of the browned bits from the pan. Allow to simmer 5-8 minutes.
- Fold in rice and parsley. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve.
- Traditional Dirty Rice is made using finely chopped chicken livers, this recipe uses bacon grease to make up for their rich flavor. Sometimes mushrooms or even oysters are added as a substitute.
- This Recipe adapted from >>>> Click Here