- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- Small amount of pink gel food coloring
- 1 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup drained & finely chopped maraschino cherries (plus extra for garnish)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (plus extra for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- In a mixing bowl beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer for 1 minute, or until combined. Add in the egg and extracts, beat again.
- Add in a small amount of pink gel food coloring and mix. In separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mixing by hand with a spatula.
- Add in the finely chopped maraschino cherries and chocolate chips, mix by hand until combined. The batter will be thick.
- Use a cookie scoop to drop dough balls onto a silicone lined baking sheet. Press additional cherries and chocolate chips into the outside of the dough balls.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes – be sure not to over bake or the cookies will loose their pink color and turn brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool to the touch on the baking sheet (about 15 minutes) then move them to a cooling rack.
This article and recipe adapted from this site