- 200g Nutella
For the pancakes:
- 190g plain flour
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml buttermilk
- Spread the Nutella out on a piece of baking parchment and place onto a baking tray. Place the tray in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sheet is firm.
- Remove tray from the freezer and stamp out 4cm circles from the Nutella with a cookie cutter. Keep in the freezer until needed.
- Preheat a large skillet or griddle to medium-low heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the whole egg, vanilla extract and buttermilk and whisk until fully combined.
- Whisk the egg white in a clean bowl until medium-stiff peaks are formed and then fold into the pancake batter.
- Grease a 6cm deep cookie cutter with vegetable oil and add a little oil to the pan as well. Place the cookie cutter into the pan and pour ¼ cup of the pancake batter into the cookie cutter. Place 1 frozen Nutella disc into the centre of the batter then top the disc with enough batter to cover completely. Cook on a very low heat for 5 – 7 minutes – when the batter begins to bubble the pancake is ready to be flipped.
- Flip and cook the pancake for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, or until the other side is golden brown, then release the sides with a palette knife to remove the cookie cutter and remove the pancake from the pan.
- Keep the completed pancakes warm while preparing the remaining pancakes. Serve warm with maple syrup.
This article and recipe adapted from this site