Ingredients for mashed potato topping:
- 2 pounds potatoes peeled and cut into big chunks
- 4 tablespoon butter half a stick
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ to ½ cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups of frozen peas carrots and corn medley
- 2 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil the potatoes in water to cover until fork tender and then drain the water.
- Add the butter, sour cream, milk and salt and pepper to taste and mash the potatoes with a hand masher or mixer until you reach your favorite mashed potato consistency. Set aside.
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef along with the onions and garlic. Drain any excess grease.
- To the same skillet add 2 cups of the frozen vegetables, cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat and veggies and stir to mix.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to mix it in.
- Then add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to low. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding additional broth if necessary to prevent the meat from drying out.
- Remove from heat. Spread the meat mixture in an even layer in a 9×13 dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Top the meat with the mashed potatoes making an even layer of potatoes. You can get all fancy and pipe the potatoes onto the meat or you can use a spoon and spread the potatoes evenly and then use a fork to make designs and ridges in the potatoes. These little ridges will brown nicely!
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until brown and bubbly. You can place it under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the potatoes more if necessary.
Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 163mg | Potassium: 636mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 432IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 4mg
This Recipe adapted from >>>> Click Here