This simple pumpkin, spinach and walnut spaghetti makes an ideal mid-week dinner. It’s light, quick to prepare and tastes delicious. It’s vegan and can be made gluten-free too.
- 200 g spaghetti (use gluten-free if you are gluten-intolerant)
- 3 tbsp / 45 ml olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 cups of cubed butternut squash / pumpkin*
- about 100 g spinach
- ½-1 tsp chilli flakes (depending on level of heat and your preference)
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 30 g walnuts, finely chopped
- Coat cubed butternut squash in 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt. Bake in a hot oven (225º C / 435º F) for about 40-50 minutes, until butternut squash turns soft and gets lightly caramelised.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Fry off garlic gently on a low-medium heat, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn. Add chilli flakes and cook for another minute or two stirring frequently.
- Cook spaghetti for a minute shorter than you would normally.