- Tofu Cooking Guide
- If you have never worked with Gochujang before, it is a Korean chili paste, if you can’t find it, your favorite chili
- sauce or paste will work.
- 1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu
- 1/2 Cup Tomato sauce, canned
- 1/4 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 2 Tablespoons Agave syrup
- 2 Teaspoons Gochujang paste
- 1 Small Apple, finely grated
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely grated
- 1 inch piece Fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame seeds
- 1/2 Cup Corn starch
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Oil for frying
- Scallions for serving
- Rice for serving
1. Start by pressing your tofu. I will link to my tofu guide below if you would like a step by step of that process.Press the block of tofu for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better. You can even do it in the morning beforeyou plan to make it.
2. When you are ready to eat, make the Korean BBQ sauce first. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisktogether the tomato sauce, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, agave, Gochujang, the finely grated apple, garlicand ginger, and the sesame seeds. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
3. Then, take your pressed block of tofu, cut into cubes, or thinner rectangular slices like I did. Whatever youprefer. Add the tofu to a large mixing bowl, then sprinkle with the corn starch and salt. Toss to coat all of thetofu.
4. Now, heat a little bit of oil at the bottom of a non stick pan on medium high. Add the tofu to the pan, don’tover crowd it, if the pan is too small to fit all of it, do it in two batches.
5. Brown the tofu on all sides, reducing heat as needed. It will take a few minutes on each side to get the tofunice and crispy. Remove all of the tofu from the pan, place in a bowl.
6. If there is any leftover oil in the pan, wipe it out. Then return the pan to the heat and add about half of theKorean BBQ sauce. Heat on low for a minute, then add all of the tofu back to the pan.
7. Toss to coat the tofu, and cook for a minute. Then remove from heat. Serve immediately with rice andveggies if you want. Drizzle the remaining sauce over the top and garnish with scallions or chives!
This article and recipe adapted from this site